Below, you will find an overview of the admission requirements, admission procedure and application details for studying one or two semeesters at Tio.
For exchange students the following admission requirements apply:
- The English proficiency should be more than sufficient in order to attend classes. A minimum of English B2 (CEFR) is required. The home university of the exchange student is responsible for ensuring that the level of English is sufficient, a Language Proficiency Report is sufficient.
- Tio accepts exchange students from partner universities and, subject to conditions, will accept free movers as well.
- Tio will only accept applications from students after receiving a written nomination via the home university first.
- Students requiring a visa to study in The Netherlands need to make sure they apply in time in order for Tio to apply for the visa. Please note that a package fee needs to be paid upfront in order to apply for the visa via Tio (see Factsheet for more information).
Application & nomination
In order to apply you need to be nominated for a semester abroad by your home university first. You can obtain information about the application procedure by contacting the international office at your university. The required documents when applying to Tio are the filled out and signed application form, a copy of your passport and a transcript of your list of marks. The entire procedure will be done digitally. Once nominated you will receive more information by email regarding the application procedure.
Upon receipt of your application, via the online system of Tio, you will receive a Letter of Acceptance (if you meet the academic requirements). If you require a visa to come and study at Tio, you will receive an e-mail with the cost for your visa application, the cost for the required insurance and the cost of housing. The antecedents certificate, needed for your visa application, will also be send to you. You will have to fill out this form and send it back. The visa application will be started by Tio after receipt of the full payment.
Tio courses are in great demand and there are a limited number of places available. Once you have made up your mind, you can apply to Tio through the Tio online system. The deadlines for applications are:
- EU students: June 1st
- Non-EU students: May 1st
- EU students: November 1st
- Non-EU students: October 1st
September and January enrolment
As an exchange student you are able to enrol for either the fall semester (starting in September) or spring semester (starting in January). A semester has a duration of 15 weeks. In consultation with Tio and your own university there is also the possibility to attend two semesters at Tio, instead of one. This will allow you to spend a year in the Netherlands.
End of December
End of May